Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rabbit Hole by David Lindsay-Abaire (2007)

Summary:  The play opens a few months after Becca and Howie have lost their four-year old son in a freak accident involving a teenage driver and an unlatched gate.  Almost immediately, Becca's sister Izzie reveals that she is newly pregnant (unmarried) and this adds another level to the grief and stress that Becca and Howie are already experiencing.  Additionally, the teenager (Jason) desperately wants to meet Becca and Howie to make some sort of amends.  Becca eventually meets with Jason and they talk primarily about his own science fiction writing.

Thoughts:  Hmmm. I saved this play to read when on a night when I had little motivation, thinking that I would absolutely love it.  Lindsay-Abaire is fantastic at writing dialogue, so the play was a very fast read...but I did not become as attached to this play or it's characters as I had hoped.  Other nominees in 2007 included Bulrusher, Orpehus X and A Soldier's Fugue; none of which have received the same sorts of popular acclaim as nominees in 2005, 2006, 2008 or 2009.  I certainly did not dislike this play, but also wasn't as invested or moved as I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment